THE INDIANA SMALL AND RURAL SCHOOLS ASSOCIATION BELIEVES:
● In the leadership of Local School Boards made up of engaged citizens closest to the school represent the most invested groups properly-suited to guide the operation of the local school district while making important decisions involving budgets, leadership, curriculum, shared services, cooperative agreements, district organization, and district improvement. (Local Control)
● The Indiana General Assembly should fully fund new laws and administrative code mandates that require the addition of staff for a specific state-mandated program, supplementary staff training time, or specific school security procedures and equipment and document the impact on school districts’ local financial resources.
● All Redevelopment Commissions formed in Indiana should include an appointed non-compensated school board member or school board member designee as a voting member representing any school district located wholly or partly within the unit.
● The General Assembly should NOT expand voucher funding for general education or special education services that incentivizes the withdrawal of students from public schools to access a paid benefit during a time of economic crisis.
THE INDIANA SMALL AND RURAL SCHOOLS ASSOCIATION SUPPORTS:
● Legislation and public policy that requires all Indiana schools receiving public funds be required to meet and report the same operational, accountability requirements, academic, and rigorous legal standards while being held to the same equal access requirements public schools are required to follow.
● A reinstatement of the small schools’ grant to help cover the costs of the Pathways, add school counselors and increase teacher pay.
● A pause on accountability penalties based on COVID learning loss.
● The expansion of rural broadband funding, and we support public private partnerships that reach the last mile.
● The taxing of vape and all e-cigarette products as a revenue source.